Any pet can become the unexpected prey of a predator.
- The most likely candidate for a predator attack are dogs and cats under twenty pounds.
- If the coyotes in the area are larger or hunt in a pack, larger
dogs may become prey, (this is rarer but you cannot rule it out)
- My experience: there are a higher percentage of white pets or pets with a significant amount of white
on them that meet this fate. The coyote is an opportunist and it is possibly that the white is a flag and easier to see.
- Pets that are older, ill or becoming ill, incapacitated,
blind or less physically capable seem to be more frequent targets.
- Pet that is in a high state of fear or that may have just become injured. They put off pheromones
and it is likely the coyote is alerted to the release of the hormones
Leads, Characteristics & Sightings
Below is the typical criteria found in this scenario:
- Pet was last seen in the late afternoon, evening or morning.
- Pet left outside longer than normal or at a different time or near
- Point of escape or point last seen
maybe in the country, woods, pasture area or in a metro or subdivision that has a nearby green belt access, wilderness area,
drainage ditch system or open space.
of escape or point last seen may be near or adjacent to large storm drain system or electrical line easement that lets out
into a wilderness or swamp area. Many pet owners are unaware of the origin and endings for these accesses. Coyotes use these
extensively to travel, especially in Texas and Colorado where the systems are large and easy to travel.
- There are no sightings of the pet or maybe just one or two the
first day the pet went missing.
- Coyotes or
foxes have been seen or heard in the area. It is not necessary however to hear or see them for them to be in the area. Many
pet owners have been shocked to learn they live among coyotes because they have never heard them and felt that all coyotes
howl. They do not.
- In Florida and other
areas with swamps, lowlands and waterways; if the point of escape or point last seen is near a waterway or pond, alligators
are a concern.
Return to main page The dog that meets with a Predator.
Continue to Case study for dog that meets with a Predator