Dogs experience pain and illness in many different ways. Like humans, every dog has a different degree
of tolerance for discomfort and pain. In my experience, terriers and the bully breeds seem to have the highest tolerance
with the toy dogs having the lowest. A dog in this situation may exhibit the following characteristics.
- Dogs experiencing pain may run or walk until they can't continue
and will then lie down.
- Dogs on new medication can wander aimlessly
- Ear and head pain can cause dog to wander in attempts
to seek comfort
- Tick fever creates a high fever. The dog may seeks
a way to cool himself off and reduce his fever
can travel a fair distance when scared and injured depending on the severity of the injury. Many whimper very quietly or utter
no sound at all.
- A sick dog will generally
not travel far but a dog in pain or disoriented can travel a long distance
- Witness may have seen dog laying in public area or roadside appearing sick or injured.
- Pet owner notices vomit, bloody feces, or other body fluids near
point last seen.
- Area is experiencing heat
and high temperatures and dog does not tolerate this well and seeks cool, damp place to recover.
- Dog is left without access to water... not only will the dog seek water but may do so only when his
body temperature has risen above normal due to dehydration.